Ramblings of a middle-aged mom, granola girl/triathelete wanna be.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Small sacrifices heap big rewards

It doesn't seem right that the school year is two months away from being over, or that I have will have two children in high school next year. I can't stop time, so I won't begin to stress on that topic. I've learned in parenting, that often it's the small sacrifices that don't seem important at the time that your kids notice. I was reminded of that this week when my son told me at the last minute that he had to have a judge for a speech tournament, it would mean 100 points to his grade. I was originally scheduled to be out of town at a women's retreat from church - something I was really looking forward to but I decided it was worth more to be there for my son than for a few days away with my friends. I let his teacher know and within the hour I had the most endearing text from my son, it was simple..."thanks mom..I love you so much." The words still ring in my heart days since and I know I made the right decision, it was worth those few words I'll treasure. It was just as restoring as my planned women's retreat and I realized that occasionally it's the small sacrifices that heap big rewards!

1 comment:

Jayne Jaudon Ferrer said...

Amen and amen. And those moments with our children are so fleeting! One minute, you're mired in diaper bags and strollers; the next minute, you're watching them walk across the stage with a diploma. Every moment is so precious!